NITA-U TO DIGITALIZE MBARARA DISTRICT LOCAL GOVT
The Ministry of Information Communications Technology and National Guidance through NATIONAL INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AUTHORITY UGANDA (NITA U), has planned to digitalize service delivery in Mbarara District and Mbarara City. This communication was delivered by the NITA U Executive Director Mr. James Saaka during the District visit by NITA U new Board of Directors in October 2019 at the District Chairperson’s office in Mbarara.
The NITA U Board Chairperson Mr. John R Musinguzi, Board members and top management team commended the Efforts of Mbarara District leadership in embracing ICT development and usage in Mbarara. The team officially welcomed Mbarara on the National Backbone Infrastructure and E- Government services adding that the District has steady supply of internet services since 2017.
The ED congratulated the District upon winning the National E- Government excellence awards 2019 in the LG performance category.
The Digitalization project will among others include:
1. Provision of ICT infrastructure
2. Extension of internet services
3. Provision of ICT equipment’s( Computers, laptops, printers, and Access Points)
4. Establishment of internet hot spots in key service delivery areas of Mbarara
5. Conducting staff and stakeholder trainings
6. Development of IT systems to support government processes
7. Support the development of ICT innovation and incubation services in Mbarara
PROGRESS SO FAR
1. Staff training on ICT policy, Security and data management was conducted in November 2019 at the District Council Hall by NITA U staff.
2. Staff training in MS Project was done in February 2020 by NITA U staff
3. Digitalization requirements assessment was conducted in March 2020 by NITA U technical team
4. Report preparation and discussion are underway at the MoICT &NG and NITA U
Ma5. The District is waiting for the implementation guidelines. This has been delayed by the outbreak of Covid 19 and the current measures of lockdown and quarantine.
Mbarara District Chairperson Mr. JB Tumusiime Bamuturaki and his entire leadership wishes to extend their sincere gratitude to the MoICT and NG together with NITA U for this development and calls upon the people of Mbarara to embrace this project to promote social economic development.
Capt. JB Tumusiime - Chairperson LCV Mbarara District
NITA-U ED MR. JAMES SAAKA