HON. MUNANUKYE VENANCE HON. KANSIIME HILDAH
DISTRICT SPEAKER DEPUTY SPEAKER
The District Council is the highest political authority in the district Chaired by the District Speaker and assisted by the Deputy Speaker, with legislative, planning and executive powers. The District Council is a corporate body with perpetual succession and a common seal, and may sue or be sued in its corporate name.
Composition of Council
The Mbarara District Council is composed of directly elected representatives that include those representing sub-county constituencies as well as those representing special interest sections of the population.
The Mbarara District Council comprises of:
- The directly elected Chairperson,
- Directly elected councilors representing lower local governments,
- Directly elected Women councilors who must constitute one third of all council members,
- Two councilors representing youths (between 18-30 years - Male and Female) elected by the youths under the Electoral College system,
- Two councilors representing People with Disability (Male and Female) elected under the Electoral College system,
- Two councilors representing the elderly (50 years and above), appointed by the LLG executive committees and approved by the District council.
- 3 Members of Parliament, who are ex-officio members.
- 1 directly elected councillor representing workers